Saturday, March 25, 2017

20-miler DONE

And really it was better not to have to wake up super-early and get to Queens - the good thing about doing a training run in a race situation is that it completely forestalls all "Oh, that's sore, why don't I just stop now and call it a day and try again in another few days?" thinking. But really I knew I wanted to get it properly done today!

That right hamstring tendinitis thing was quite sore yesterday during my run with Liz, and unfortunately it was sore again today pretty much right from the start - it doesn't get worse, and it's not like having seized-up back or anything that really makes you question your sanity, but it's tough when even the opening couple miles of a long one are already causing you to make mild grimaces! I ran the first loop of Central Park pretty well I think (deduction is that I am slightly faster on rolling hills than on flats, in that the downhills are rather faster than average), slowed down after that as it dawned on me that hip flexors REALLY were noticing the hills. Thereafter a slog - I did the middle loop a couple times, then turned around at 72nd and ran back up the west side of the park and partway home. Stopped my Garmin the MINUTE it hit 20.00 and walked the remaining 7 or 8 blocks!

Shower, ibuprofen, food - all better now, feet still a bit sore but feel pretty normal otherwise.

20mi, 4:39 or so

No comments: